Employment / Student Life Gap Year Program
The Gap Year Staff will support students and train them in Appropriate Independence™ (i.e. hygiene, health, expected behaviors, daily living skills, social interactions, etc.), communicate effectively, and positively contribute to the team (i.e. emails, TEAMS, documentation, assessments, reliability, consistency, professionalism, etc.), and maintain living areas (i.e. cleanliness, concerns, supplies, organization, maintenance, training, etc.).
Full time: Sunday-Wednesday or Wednesday-Saturday and 2 overnight ERS shifts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Serve as a conduit of Christ’s love for others in an effort to point others to Jesus through our actions and words.
Oversees all aspects of Student Life for SC students:
- Implement evening programming and supervise leisure time for students
- Pass medications and train students in personal medication and health as assigned
- Provide assistance and hands-on adaptive skill set training to students
- Administrate the guidelines and policies in the student handbook
- Manage behavioral issues among students and communicate information regarding student behaviors to the student life team, the student’s advisor, and other appropriate personnel
- Train and assist students with meal planning, preparation, and grocery shopping
- Complete required documentation, assessments, and communication
- Facilitate the work of volunteers who interact with students during the evenings
- Assist students with following a budget, personal care, and health management
- Work closely with other faculty members to ensure that the various components of the program are working in harmony, complementing one another
- Organize, continue, and develop systems in order to maintain consistency, cleanliness, progression, and promote student growth on weekdays and weekends
- Attend faculty/staff meetings, as assigned
- Attend activities and trainings specific to the GAP YEAR and Residency programs
- Work effectively with team members.
- Maintain positive and supportive relationships with students and their families
- Treat each student with respect and dignity
- Communicate in a courteous and professional manner
- Actively participate in trainings, meetings, and social programming for Gap Year and Residency participants
- Consistently demonstrate Christ-likeness in actions and words
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- A High School diploma is required
- Experience working with individuals with intellectual disabilities is favorable
- Must be an effective communicator, including verbal and written communication
- Must possess strong organizational skills
- Must possess a high level of professionalism, including the ability to maintain confidentiality
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid driver's license.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
All new employees are required to pass a physical examination, be tested for and be free of TB and be tested for and free of Hepatitis B (or start the Hepatitis B vaccination series), all within the 90 days immediately prior to starting employment. Shepherds assumes payment for the cost of the physical and TB test as described above and will pay the cost of the chest x-ray and reading if one is required as well as any Hepatitis B testing or immunization. All additional costs are assumed by the employee.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR MISSION
Employee shall commit to the mission of Shepherds College, which is to educate and train students with intellectual and developmental disabilities by equipping them to reach Appropriate IndependenceTM (Ai) through the development of vocational, social, and life skills while inspiring a lasting awareness of God’s plan for their lives. Employee shall have a deep understanding of Ai and its guiding principles, as Ai is the foundation of our education and training programs here at Shepherds College.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR CULTURE
Employee must be in alignment and in agreement with the eight key behaviors that shape our culture here at Shepherds College: 1) Model Christ-likeness - Point others to Jesus through our actions and words; 2) Be Creative - Practice strategic innovation; 3) Pursue Excellence – Whatever it is, make it better; 4) Maximize Strengths - Cultivate the value and potential of every individual; 5) Promote Professionalism – Present the best you, always; 6) Work Together – Collaborate to fulfill our mission; 7) Embrace Accountability – Own the process and the outcome; 8) Experience Gratitude – Recognize and affirm the good.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR FAITH
Employee must be in full alignment and agreement with the Shepherds College Statement of Faith and Biblical Responsibilities of Shepherds Staff. Employee must be part of a faith community that is aligned with traditional protestant Christian faith.
Must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Must be able to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and sit. The employee is occasionally required to walk and reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Become a vital part of the Shepherds College mission!