Employment / Paraprofessional
The Classroom Paraprofessional will serve in a support role to Shepherds College (SC) instructors, working with individual or groups of students in order to enhance classroom learning.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(include the following: other duties may be assigned)
- Assist students in preparing for instruction
- Supervise students in assigned areas before classes
- Manage classroom disruptions
- Facilitate the work of students in small groups
- Work one-on-one with students as needed
- Co-teach lesson components as determined by the classroom instructor
- Supervise students during the lunch hour; provide support with food choices & portions as-needed
- Provide ongoing support to students as they clock-in and clock-out for classes
- Facilitate the growth of Appropriate Independence
- Assist students with academic tasks and organizational skills
- Support classroom instruction methods and procedures
- Observe and record information related to the tracking of student behavior
- Work closely with other faculty and staff members to ensure program success
- Participate in staff meetings, as assigned, and meet regularly with instructors
- Work effectively with team members
- Maintain positive and supportive relationships with students and their families
- Treat each student with respect and dignity
- Communicate in a courteous and professional manner
- Actively participate in trainings and meetings
- Consistently demonstrate Christ-likeness in their actions and words
- Experience working in an educational setting as a tutor or classroom assistant is preferred
- Must have experience working with individuals with intellectual disabilities
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred, but not required
- ABA certification is preferred, but not required
- Must be willing to incorporate teaching methods and procedures of Instructor
- Must be an effective communicator, including verbal and written communication
- Must possess strong organizational skills
- Must possess a high-level of professionalism, including the ability to maintain confidentiality
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee must complete a TB skin test and a physical exam which certifies freedom from communicable disease within 90 days prior to beginning employment. Medical documentation of TB skin test results and physical exam must be submitted to the Human Resources Department prior to beginning employment.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR MISSION:
Employee shall commit to the mission of Shepherds College, which is to educate and train students with intellectual and developmental disabilities by equipping them to reach Appropriate IndependenceTM (Ai) through the development of vocational, social and life skills while inspiring a lasting awareness of God’s plan for their lives. Employee shall have a deep understanding of Ai and its guiding principles, as Ai is the foundation of our education and training programs here at Shepherds College.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR CULTURE:
Employee must be in alignment and in agreement with the eight key behaviors that shape our culture here at Shepherds College: 1) Model Christ-likeness - Point others to Jesus through our actions and words; 2) Be Creative - Practice strategic innovation; 3) Pursue Excellence – Whatever it is, make it better; 4) Maximize Strengths - Cultivate the value and potential of every individual; 5) Promote Professionalism – Present the best you, always; 6) Work Together – Collaborate to fulfill our mission; 7) Embrace Accountability – Own the process and the outcome; 8) Experience Gratitude – Recognize and affirm the good.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR FAITH:
Employee must be in full alignment and agreement with the Shepherds College Statement of Faith, Biblical Responsibilities of Shepherds Staff, and the Shepherds College Community Covenant. Employee must be part of a faith community that is aligned with traditional protestant Christian faith.
Must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Must be able to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and sit. The employee is occasionally required to walk, and reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Become a vital part of the Shepherds College mission!