Employment / Commercial Kitchen Production Assistant
As the Commercial Kitchen Production Assistant, you are responsible for front of house and back of house set up and tear down, assisting the Food Production Manager with lunch preparation, and assisting in the training of Culinary students as they gain field experience within the Shepherds College Commercial Kitchen. Schedule / Hours: Monday through Friday from 6:30 am to 3:30 pm (sometimes later if needed). Must be available to assist with special events throughout the year.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Serve as a conduit of Christ’s love for others in an effort to point others to Jesus through our actions and words.
- Assists in the preparation of food in quantities according to number of persons to be served or under the direction of the Chef.
- May be asked to fill in for the Food Production Manager occasionally.
- Must be able to serve food in a cafeteria setting.
- Assists in the preparation of menu items for lunch service.
- Prepares special diets on a daily basis.
- Supervises Culinary students involved in performing food service responsibilities. May be asked to fill in as support staff in ware washing areas.
- Assists in the training of Shepherds College Culinary students in food preparation, sanitation, and storage in accordance with all State and Local ordinances.
- Assists as needed with preparation and setup for catering events.
- Assigns jobs to students in absence of supervisors and assumes unit management in absence of Food Production Manager.
- Create Field Experience (FE) schedule for Culinary Arts students
- Help with preparing and placing food orders through our local food vendor
- Carry out the "Biblical Responsibilities of Shepherds' Staff" within the context of job duties.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) or better; and/or two years of food preparation experience in like field. Some leadership experience and cash handling are a plus.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid driver's license.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All new employees are required to pass a physical examination, be tested for and be free of TB and be tested for and free of Hepatitis B (or start the Hepatitis B vaccination series), all within the 90 days immediately prior to starting employment. Shepherds assumes payment for the cost of the physical and TB test as described above and will pay the cost of the chest x-ray and reading if one is required as well as any Hepatitis B testing or immunization. All additional costs are assumed by the employee.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR MISSION
Employee shall commit to the mission of Shepherds College, which is to educate and train students with intellectual and developmental disabilities by equipping them to reach Appropriate IndependenceTM (Ai) through the development of vocational, social, and life skills while inspiring a lasting awareness of God’s plan for their lives. Employee shall have a deep understanding of Ai and its guiding principles, as Ai is the foundation of our education and training programs here at Shepherds College.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR CULTURE
Employee must be in alignment and in agreement with the eight key behaviors that shape our culture here at Shepherds College: 1) Model Christ-likeness - Point others to Jesus through our actions and words; 2) Be Creative - Practice strategic innovation; 3) Pursue Excellence – Whatever it is, make it better; 4) Maximize Strengths - Cultivate the value and potential of every individual; 5) Promote Professionalism – Present the best you, always; 6) Work Together – Collaborate to fulfill our mission; 7) Embrace Accountability – Own the process and the outcome; 8) Experience Gratitude – Recognize and affirm the good.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR FAITH
Employee must be in full alignment and agreement with the Shepherds College Statement of Faith and Biblical Responsibilities of Shepherds Staff. Employee must be part of a faith community that is aligned with traditional protestant Christian faith.
Must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Must be able to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and sit. The employee is occasionally required to walk, and reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Become a vital part of the Shepherds College mission!