Employment / Advancement Officer
As a Shepherds College Advancement Officer, you will initiate and cultivate relationships with potential major donors (individuals, businesses, and foundations) who have the capability of making significant financial contributions to the ministry of Shepherds College to maintain and build strong relationships with existing major donors; and to professionally and effectively ask for financial gifts to fund the mission and programs of Shepherds College.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build relationships and secure major gift support ($10,000 and above) for Shepherds College through personal visits with donors and prospective donors, including individuals, businesses/corporations, churches, and foundations. Inform potential contributors of the needs of Shepherds College and encourage gifts to the annual fund and projects.
- Work with Shepherds College Marketing Team to develop donor acquisition and retention plans for assigned geographic area. Also, manage donor portfolio in conjunction with Senior Vice President of Advancement
- Articulate the mission, vision, and ministry to which God has called Shepherds College
- Using Shepherds College’s donor management system, track communication with potential and current major donors
- Provide input for special events which will have as a focus prospecting, cultivating, and/or acquiring major donors
- Prepare written proposals, with the help of the Shepherds College Marketing Team to effectively and compellingly describe the work God has called Shepherds College to do and the ROI each donor will see
- Assist donors in being ambassadors for Shepherds College
- Plan and execute, with the help of Shepherds College staff opportunities for groups of donors and prospective donors to experience the ministry of Shepherds College
- Keep abreast of the ministry of Shepherds College by interfacing with staff. Be able to effectively describe any Shepherds College project, cost, and expected outcome to donors
- Leverage speaking opportunities for the President and Senior Vice President of Advancement, to build awareness of Shepherds College, our ministry and help secure funding for any of our projects
- Insure gifts from major donors are properly thanked and followed up with timely information and updates on the ministry and what their gift has accomplished
- Submit activity reports each week to the Senior Vice President of Advancement (or his designate), participate in regular conference calls, in-house meetings, and other campus events as needed
- Able to articulate a personal walk with Jesus Christ and relate it to the ministry of Shepherds College
- Display a passion for the mission, vision, and ministry of Shepherds College
- Operate within established budget
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Full alignment with the Shepherds College Mission Statement and Statement of Faith
- Successful background in donor development, recruitment and/or business sales and marketing
- Bachelor’s degree with three years successful experience in major or planned gifts preferably in higher education or ministry
- Ability to lead diverse initiatives and influence people towards goals
- Strong social and people skills
- Demonstrated ability to persuade and call to advance God’s Kingdom through financial stewardship
- Track record of gaining agreement to significant proposals
- Ability to complete detailed proposals, contact records, reports, and correspondence
- History of successfully working independently
- High moral integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proficiency in standard office computer software tools (i.e.: Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee must complete a TB skin test and a physical exam which certifies freedom from communicable disease within 90 days prior to beginning employment. Medical documentation of TB skin test results and physical exam must be submitted to the Human Resources Department prior to beginning employment.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR MISSION:
Employee shall commit to the mission of Shepherds College, which is to educate and train students with intellectual and developmental disabilities by equipping them to reach Appropriate IndependenceTM (Ai) through the development of vocational, social, and life skills while inspiring a lasting awareness of God’s plan for their lives. Employee shall have a deep understanding of Ai and its guiding principles, as Ai is the foundation of our education and training programs here at Shepherds College.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR CULTURE:
Employee must be in alignment and in agreement with the eight key behaviors that shape our culture here at Shepherds College: 1) Model Christ-likeness - Point others to Jesus through our actions and words; 2) Be Creative - Practice strategic innovation; 3) Pursue Excellence – Whatever it is, make it better; 4) Maximize Strengths - Cultivate the value and potential of every individual; 5) Promote Professionalism – Present the best you, always; 6) Work Together – Collaborate to fulfill our mission; 7) Embrace Accountability – Own the process and the outcome; 8) Experience Gratitude – Recognize and affirm the good.
ALIGNMENT WITH OUR FAITH:
Employee must be in full alignment and agreement with the Shepherds College Statement of Faith, Biblical Responsibilities of Shepherds Staff, and the Shepherds College Community Covenant. Employee must be part of a faith community that is aligned with traditional protestant Christian faith.
Must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form. Must be able to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and sit. The employee is occasionally required to walk, and reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
During a typical day, this person will contact 15 to 25 or more individuals by phone (and occasionally in person) to communicate the mission of Shepherds College and find creative ways to fund the mission.
The Advancement Officer will be expected to work 4-5 days per week on campus here in Union Grove, WI. Hours will primarily be during regular business hours with occasional weekends and evenings. Some travel is required (about 25%).