Academics / Horticulture
The Horticulture training program at Shepherds College provides students with the knowledge and skillset necessary to succeed in the specialized green industry. Students who like plants and being outdoors will appreciate the tasks and responsibilities of this career.
FIELD EXPERIENCE OBJECTIVE
To further develop Horticulture skills learned in college classes and related activities in a practical and professional environment with the goal to enhance employment readiness and empower independence.
HORTICULTURE TRAINING PROGRAM
- Greenhouse sanitation and cleaning
- Materials handling/retail preparation
- Plug and liner transplanting
- Pot & hanging planter design
- Greenhouse plant care
- Vegetable garden preparation and cultivation
- Vegetable garden installation
- Vegetable garden watering and weeding
- Vegetable garden harvest and winterizing
- Common plant identification
- Winter operations - snow and ice removal
- Spring bedding sales and customer service
- Perennials propagation, installation, and care
- Landscape plant installation and care
- Landscape bed mulching, watering, and care
- Zero turn radius mower operation
- Yard trimming and waste removal
- Rototiller operation
- Garden tool skills - power and hand tools
- Problem Solving
- Following Directions
- Skill development in Shepherds College Greenhouse and Gardens, and Shepherds College grounds
- 100+ hours of hands-on training and experience working in on-site greenhouse; including retail sales
- Experience with simple floral arrangements, flower bed design/installation, and vegetable gardening
For more information on the program including placement rates, program costs, and possible career options please see:
Sustainable Oasis at Shepherds College
Shepherds College has goals to generate income from some of our farmable land, to expand our horticulture program to include organic farming, and to better integrate our students into the local community.
Ron and Lisa Stark and Ali Schultz of the non-profit organization, Sustainable Oasis Systems, Inc. (SOS), are partnering with Shepherds College to make this ideal a reality. Sustainable Oasis at Shepherds College is creating an organic farm and edible forest on the Shepherds College campus to provide educational opportunities and further employment for Shepherds College horticulture students.